Sunday, November 7, 2010

Courting Morrow Little by Laura Frantz

Rating: 4.5 stars

Courting Morrow Little is a another entrancing read from the pen of Laura Frantz.  The Frontiersman Daughter was a captivating debut novel, which made me an instant Laura Frantz fan.  Frantz's second novel, Courting Morrow Little, is defined by the same elements which made The Frontiersman Daughter one of my favorite novels last year: interesting and developed characters, vivid descriptions, an unpredictable plot, and a well-balanced blend of fiction and historical facts.

Frantz's love of Kentucky and its history is evident in the detailed depictions of the undeveloped and untamed wilderness, its inhabitants, and the forts and Indian settlements that dotted the landscape.  I enjoyed reading Courting Morrow Little and felt as though I were transported through the wild and dangerous frontier.  There were a few instances when I felt the plot slowed, but it would soon surprise me with an unexpected twist.  About 60 pages from the end of the novel, I found myself wondering what else could happen.  I feared that the end of the book was going to drag on in uneventful detail.  Fortunately, I was wrong and soon became engrossed in yet another adventurous twist that yielded a satisfying conclusion to the novel.

Courting Morrow Little follows the life of Morrow Little upon her return to the Kentucky wilderness after spending two years in the civilized city of Philadelphia.  As she settles into Kentucky life with her now ailing father, Morrow must face her past heartache as memories surface of the violence her family suffered years earlier by the hands of Shawnee warriors. To complicate matters, Morrow's return instantly attracts attention from several potential suitors, including a half-blood Indian.  With her heart drawing her nearer to a Shawnee warrior, Morrow must search her heart for forgiveness.  But how can she love, much less marry, a man from the same tribe who permanently scarred her family, and where will such a love lead?  Morrow's journey is one worth reading, and I highly recommend this book as well as The Frontiersman's Daughter.  I cannot wait for Laura Frantz's next novel, especially since she is taking inspiration from one of the characters from my favorite movie North & South (based on Elizabeth Gaskell's novel).   ~M

1 comment:

  1. Dear B2,
    Beautiful blog! Love the Longfellow quote:) And many, many thanks for the heartfelt, insightful review of CML. Hope you enjoy The Colonel's Lady just as much! You've sure blessed me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...