Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Tale of One Reader...

Several years ago, I was not a bookworm.  Today, thanks to my sister, I am; and I cannot imagine what I did before I rediscovered the joy of a good book.  Books are my stress-relievers and companions.  I enjoyed reading as a child, and I especially loved reading books like the Boxcar Children with my mother before bed.  Sometime after elementary school, I drifted away from reading and did not return to my old hobby until college.  After my lifelong bookworm sister persistently asked me to start reading I again, I finally relented and read Hope by Lori Copeland.  I was immediately pulled into the light-hearted, adventurous novel with a spunky heroine.  Gradually, my inner bookworm began to re-emerge.
___________________________________

My daily reading regimen is to read for a few hours each day.  Since I work full-time, my reading time is limited to my lunch hour and my wind-down time before bed.  In 2008, I decided to track the number of books I read in a year.  I set my goal at 50 books and began tracking my progress in July 2008.  By July 2009, I read a total of 55 books, primarily Christian/Inspirational fiction, along with a few classics.  During my past reading year (July 2009-July 2010), my goal was to read 60 books and expand my selection of books to include other genres.  My latter goal led me to begin reading the Harry Potter series, which I did not expect to enjoy.  I am now an avid Harry Potter fan! To my surprise, I read a total of 71 books last year.  I am sure that other readers exceed my total, but I definitely feel a sense of accomplishment that I exceeded my personal goal!
___________________________________

My new goal for my current reading year is to read 70 books and write reviews for many of the books, thus the creation of this blog.  This blog is not solely my own, however; it is a joint endeavor with my fellow bookworm/sister.  Together, we are diving into to blog-pool to post book reviews and ramble about a few other topics.   A year of blogging begins now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...